This old personal study became later a warrior for FLAG identities, and because of that it was under NDA. In FLAG Ids, it was used with shading only, with no UVs necessary, it had diferent balck shaders, playing with high reflective materials to very low reflections.
A couple years after I decided to polypaint it in Zbrush, but the model was already decimated, and very hard to open UVs for all the parts. So I made a BPR render inside zbrush and came out with a nice render indeed, but I did not like some of them, like some of the metals and the rocks in the bottom. So I said I would go back to it as soon as there was a way to render the polypaint in Vray or keyshot, which I was hoping with the integration of zbrush and keyshot, but it still not happend, as Zbrush 4R7 is not out yet... But, Remus Juncu scripted a way to impor vertex color from zbrush polypaint and I saw the oportunity to render this UVless model.
I separeted the model in similar shaders groups inside zbrush, ex: metals in one group, leather in other, skin in othe, hairs , etc... So I imported them in Max and used the approach in Remus' video. I was blazing fast to setup this in Corona, no more than a couple hours, Lighting included.
What took me a bit more time was separating a few objects and UVmapping them, like the wood part of the right hand axe, and its metal part for a extra fine bump, and i did this later for many parts, the extra fine bump was necessary as I was rendering this in 7K and the model was decimated. I would say 97% of the diffuse is vertex color and 30% of the parts have extra bump.
Photoshop work was hard, I added many paint over technics, added details to the whole skin, metals, leather, fabrics, as well as the blood work. Also, I hand painted hairs where it was needed.
It is about 3 years old model, and a curios fact is that there was no fibermesh back then, and all the hairs were exported from 3dsmax hair, when fibermesh came out I remade all the hairs as it gave me a better look for this particular project. So it is all fibermesh now exported from zbrush as mesh.
Other curiosity was that the model with most of the sculpting done, was broght to its lower subd in Zbrush and exported to max piece by piece and rigged to pose it, than, exported the posed mesh to obj and when imported in zbrush it updates the mesh in the new pose, preety much what GoZ does automatically, it was very tedious, Thanks Pixologic to make my life easier today!
After the pose I added all the damage and minor details, had to decimate as I was compleating each piece so Zbrush could handle the high polycoint of this file.
It was rendered in 3Dsmax with Corona Renderer, this renderer is awesome, great quality in such low rendertimes! The full 7K render I set to 4 hours and it gave me this result, 32 million polys, did not see any AA or GI sampling problems, probably was good enough at 2 hours timeframe, but I did not stay looking.